The George Washington University Board of Trustees is soliciting applications for candidates for the Recent Alumni Trustee position, for one, four-year term from June 1, 2020 through May 31, 2024.
We seek a diverse pool of candidates to recommend for service on the Board of Trustees. The candidates must be of the highest integrity and demonstrate a strong commitment to the university. Persons shall be qualified to serve as trustees including without limitation to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression. All alumni that have earned a degree from the George Washington University are eligible, provided that each candidate meets the trustee eligibility criteria as defined in the university bylaws:
- Candidates must be a “recent graduate” (bachelors, masters, or doctoral degree recipient) which is defined as an alumnus/a who graduated less than five and one half (5 1/2) years prior to the beginning of the term (i.e., those who graduated on or after January 1, 2015 are eligible).
- With the exception of the president of the university, no person who is serving as an officer, faculty member, student, or employee of the university shall be eligible to serve as a trustee.
The ideal candidate for a position as a Recent Alumni Trustee:
- Will have a demonstrated commitment to the university and its alumni, through active involvement, which may include involvement in alumni organizations recognized by the university;
- Will have a demonstrated commitment to the university through appropriate philanthropic support; and
- Will be distinguished through either volunteer or professional activities, which may include service and activity while a student at GW.
The Board of Trustees typically holds four (4) Board meetings each Board year (June, October, February, and May). The university bylaws require that each trustee attend in-person no less than four (4) Board meetings every two (2) Board years. Additionally, the Board convenes standing and strategic committees that meet throughout the year.
Applications must be received on or before Monday, October 7, 2019, 11:59 PM PST and can be submitted through the below application, sent via email to [email protected] or mailed to:
Recent Alumni Trustee Applications
c/o Office of the Board of Trustees
The George Washington University
825 21st Street, NW
Washington, D.C. 20052
Your total application should not exceed nine (9) pages in length. This includes a maximum of: (i) two (2) pages for the application questions, (ii) two (2) pages for a resume or C.V., (iii) three (3) letters of reference, and (iv) two (2) pages for other supporting materials.
Please include all items together in one submission. If submitting your application electronically, please save your application and supporting materials in Microsoft Word or PDF format.
Virtual Information Sessions with Recent Alumni Trustee Gabbi Baker, B.B.A.'13
Trustee Gabbi Baker will be hosting three virtual information sessions to speak briefly about her experience as a Recent Alumni Trustee on the Board of Trustees, and will be available to answer any questions regarding the role, responsibilities, or application process. The virtual information sessions will be held on the following dates and times:
- Tuesday, September 17 from 5:00 pm to 6:00 pm
- Friday, September 20 from 12:00 pm to 1:00 pm
- Monday, September 23 from 5:00 pm to 6:00 pm
To register for a virtual information session, please click here. Upon registration, you will receive a follow up email with the specific details on how to join the information session.
If you have any other questions or inquiries about the GWAA Recent Alumni Trustee application process, please do not hesitate to reach out to William Carnago, Director of Board Operations at 202.994.8610 or [email protected].