The George Washington University Board of Trustees is soliciting applications for candidates for the Recent Alumni Trustee position. This individual will serve one four-year term from June 1, 2022 through May 31, 2026.
Candidates for the Recent Alumni Trustee position must be a recent graduate, which is defined as an alumnus/a who graduated less than five and one half (5 1/2) years prior to the beginning of the term (i.e., those who graduated on or after January 1, 2017 are eligible).
The Board seeks a diverse pool of candidates to recommend for service. All alumni that have earned a degree from the George Washington University are eligible, provided that each candidate meets the trustee eligibility criteria as defined in the university bylaws:
- Persons shall be qualified to serve as trustees without regard to race, color, creed, sex, national origin, place of residence, or membership in any class or category protected by applicable law.
- With the exception of the president of the university, no person who is serving as an officer, faculty member, student, or employee of the university shall be eligible to serve as a trustee.
Additionally, ideal candidates will demonstrate the following:
- A commitment to the university and its alumni through active involvement, which may include participating in alumni organizations recognized by the university;
- A commitment to the university through appropriate philanthropic support; and
- Distinguished volunteer and/or professional service, which may include activities while a student at GW.
The Board of Trustees typically holds four (4) Board meetings each Board year (June, October, February, and May). The university bylaws require that each trustee attend in-person no less than four (4) Board meetings every two (2) Board years. Additionally, the Board convenes standing and strategic committees that meet throughout the year.
Virtual Information Sessions
Trustee Chelsea Lenowska, BA '14, MPA '16 will be hosting three virtual information sessions to speak briefly about her experience as a Recent Alumni Trustee on the Board of Trustees, and will be available to answer any questions regarding the role, responsibilities, or application process. Sessions will be held on the following dates and times:
- Tuesday, September 28 from 1:00-2:00 pm ET
- Wednesday, October 6 from 12:00-1:00 pm ET
- Thursday, October 7 from 12:00-1:00 pm ET
If you are interested in applying to become a Recent Alumni Trustee, please complete the following information:
- Recent Alumni Trustee Application Form (below)
- Written answers to the application questions. Your answers to the questions listed in the Recent Alumni Trustee Application Form should be no longer than two (2) pages.
- A current resume or curriculum vitae. Please limit the length of your resume or C.V. to two (2) pages.
- Three (3) letters of reference. At least one (1) of these reference letters should be from someone who can speak to your professional, leadership, and personal accomplishments outside of your involvement with the George Washington University. Each letter of reference should be no longer than one (1) page.
- Other supporting materials. You may wish to include other supporting materials, such as a description of any civic activities, professional association memberships, awards, or achievements that are not described in your resume or C.V. Supporting materials should not exceed two (2) pages in length.
Please include all application items together in one submission via PDF format.
Applications must be received on or before Friday, October 15, 2021, 11:59 PM PDT and should be submitted in the form below, or sent via email to [email protected].
Please direct any questions or inquiries about the Recent Alumni Trustee application process to Meg McDermott, Director of Board Operations at 202-994-8610 or [email protected].