Recent Alumni Trustee Candidate Information
The George Washington University Board of Trustees is soliciting applications for candidates for the Recent Alumni Trustee position. This individual will serve one four-year term from June 1, 2024 through May 31, 2028.
Candidates for the Recent Alumni Trustee position must be a recent graduate, which is defined as an alumnus/a who graduated less than five and one half (5 1/2) years prior to the beginning of the term (i.e., those who graduated on or after January 1, 2019 are eligible).
The Board seeks a diverse pool of candidates to recommend for service. All alumni that have earned a degree from the George Washington University are eligible, provided that each candidate meets the trustee eligibility criteria as defined in the university bylaws:
- Persons shall be qualified to serve as trustees without regard to race, color, creed, sex, national origin, place of residence, or membership in any class or category protected by applicable law.
- With the exception of the president of the university, no person who is serving as an officer, faculty member, student, or employee of the university shall be eligible to serve as a trustee.
Additionally, ideal candidates will demonstrate the following:
- A commitment to the university and its alumni through active involvement, which may include participating in alumni organizations recognized by the university;
- A commitment to the university through appropriate philanthropic support; and
- Distinguished volunteer and/or professional service, which may include activities while a student at GW.
The Board of Trustees typically holds four (4) Board meetings each Board year (June, October, February, and May). The university bylaws require that each trustee attend in-person no less than four (4) Board meetings every two (2) Board years. Additionally, the Board convenes standing and strategic committees that meet throughout the year.
Virtual Information Sessions
Trustees Mollie Bowman BA ’16, MA ’17 and Luis Otero, BBA '20, MS '21 will be hosting three virtual information sessions to speak about their experience as Recent Alumni Trustees, and will be available to answer questions regarding the role, responsibilities, or application process. The session dates and times are listed below. Please use this form to sign up to attend a virtual session. The Board Office will provide the login details in advance of the virtual session to the email you provide.
- Wednesday, September 13, 1:30-2:30 p.m. ET
- Friday, September 15, 3:00-4:00 p.m. ET
- Thursday, September 21: 4:00-5:00 p.m. ET
If you are interested in applying to become a Recent Alumni Trustee, please complete the Recent Alumni Trustee Application Form embedded below. In addition to the biographical information, the application includes the following components:
- Responses to six application questions. Your answers to all six questions combined should be no more than one thousand (1,000) words in total.
- A current resume or curriculum vitae. Please limit the length of your resume or C.V. to two (2) pages.
- Three (3) letters of reference. At least one (1) of these reference letters should be from someone who can speak to your professional, leadership, and personal accomplishments outside of your involvement with the George Washington University. Each letter of reference should be no longer than one (1) page.
- Note: If a recommender would prefer to submit their letter of recommendation directly, please have them email it to Meg McDermott, Director of Board Operations at [email protected].
- Other supporting materials. You may wish to include other supporting materials, such as a description of any civic activities, professional association memberships, awards, or achievements that are not described in your resume or C.V. Supporting materials should not include additional letters of reference, and should not exceed two (2) pages in length.
Applications must be received on or before Friday, October 13, 2023, 11:59 PM PDT and should be submitted in the form below.
Please direct any questions or inquiries about the Recent Alumni Trustee application process to Meg McDermott, Director of Board Operations at 202-994-8610 or [email protected].